Re: Separate ADs roles from IESG

2013-10-21 13:09:35
Hi Joel,

Delegating authority without responsibility is a bad idea.
The question of "does an AD have too much responsibility"
seems to be the underlying issue here.

It seems the main IESG areas of responsibility are:
   1) Steer the IETF (e.g, approve BoFs, WG charters)
   2) Manage all IETF working groups (e.g., deliver milestones)
   3) Review all drafts for RFC publication

Why not have Area Managers as well as Area Directors? (split out (2))
They would be responsible for getting WGs in the area
to complete their milestones on time. (e.g, they have WG conflict
resolution authority, not the ADs). The desired skill set focus for an AM
would be
management, not technology.

Andy

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Joel M. Halpern