Re: future of identifiers

2013-10-29 12:41:06
Maybe I've misunderstood but if this discussion (which I think is valid
to do) is framed for ICANN it is likely to miss or ignore current work
stimulated because of perceived blockages in the ICANN hierarchical model.

Just saying.

Patrik Fältström <mailto:paf(_at_)frobbit(_dot_)se>
29 October 2013 16:30

Just to make my point clear. I absolutely do believe more thinking is
needed. What was done 15 years ago never finished. I claim partly
because we did not know the answers to all questions.

My only point is that I think it would be sad to restart the
discussion from zero. We both good and bad experience if we look back
in history. We made mistakes then, but we also have successes. I here
talk about URI-related discussions, whois++ (etc), Dublin Core, OID
and what not.

Same with the 10+(?) years of ID/Loc split discussions. Lots and lots
of experience.

And of course the experience enterprises like Facebook, Twitter etc
have from their what I would call private namespaces.

Patrik

Eliot Lear <mailto:lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
29 October 2013 16:23

And having chaired NSRG, + 1/2. That is- it's always fair to look at
new developments, but let's at least be aware of what was covered by
others and build on their success (or avoid their failures).

Eliot
Jari Arkko <mailto:jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net>
29 October 2013 14:38
For background, when I visited the ICANN meeting last summer, they
were about to launch a set of panels to advice themselves about key
topics in coming years. I promised to join one of them, on identifier
technology innovation (along with a few other IETFers). The topic for
this effort is future evolution of DNS and other identifiers,
including relevant security and management aspects. The viewpoint is
primarily to look at this from ICANN’s angle, but of course the matter
is interesting to us others as well.

And perhaps we at the IETF should also understand the same things.
Hence this e-mail.

I have some ideas on what some of these trends might be. But what do
the rest of you think? Where is identifier technology going, and what
new things are on the horizon? What do we need to do with IDNs?
DNSSEC? What will DANE lead to, and how will id-locator split
techniques evolve & be deployed? How will applications or users think
about identifiers in the future?

More information at http://www.ietf.org/blog/2013/10/future-identifiers/

Jari