Re: Hum theatre

2013-11-07 01:21:53
Some folks approached me after the plenary and asked me why I objected so loudly to these "taking of hums". Tim's response pretty well explains it:

On 11/6/13 6:58 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

On 11/6/13 6:50 PM, Tim Bray wrote:
You’re entitled to your opinion, but I entirely disagree. I thought each of those made an important point and highlighted some areas where consensus is broadly held. I appreciated Russ’ composition of the issues and think he deserves our thanks.

the feeling of those present was pretty clear.

Yes, the feeling of those present was pretty clear. And if Russ had only asked for the feeling of those present, I probably wouldn't have been torqued. I would have, like Dave described it, thought it a bit of political theater, but otherwise said "Whatever".

But Russ didn't ask for a "feeling". Russ said that he was asking about consensus, and Tim heard that the result of those hums *were* the IETF coming to consensus. And that's just bogus. There was no consensus, and some of this I think is really damaging to the IETF.

Look at a couple of these: