Re: Hum theatre

2013-11-07 11:19:34

Sent from my iPad

On 6 nov. 2013, at 21:48, "Brian E Carpenter"
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 07/11/2013 15:58, Randy Bush wrote:
You’re entitled to your opinion, but I entirely disagree.  I thought each
of those made an important point and highlighted some areas where consensus
is broadly held.  I appreciated Russ’ composition of the issues and think
he deserves our thanks.

the feeling of those present was pretty clear.  i am sure folk with too
much free time on their hands will wrap themselves around process
epicycles 'til the cows come home.  there is a massive amount of work to
do.  let us focus on that.

Plus several.

Obviously the hums were not aimed at deciding any engineering questions
in need of great precision. They were aimed at getting a sense of the room
on some general principles. As with the two previous occasions I mentioned,
if we want to write them up, there needs to be a draft and a consensus-forming
process. That would be a fine background activity. Meanwhile, I hope progress
on doing the actual work continues in the foreground.

Hmm, I am with Dave here. Whereas I agree on the principles and was thus ready
to hum along I had in fact a hard time humming on them because I kind of felt
dragged into an applause machine, which provokes some automatic sense of
rebellion in me. I think the topic at hand is too important to turn into a
political correct propaganda machine, it is not fair to cast doubts about the
way this was casted as 'process epicycles'.

Klaas

   Brian