Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-07 05:15:47
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Bray" <tbray(_at_)textuality(_dot_)com>
To: <ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:35 AM

I disagree. I can’t think of an scenario in which a human who
wants/needs
to use IETF publications would not have access to an HTTPS-capable user
agent.  -T

<tp>
I want access to IETF publications in order to contribute to the
standards process and I have access to a very fine, HTTPS-capable user
agent (supplied by Microsoft).  It works with almost every web site in
the world, but not with the IETF's.

For any https:// link, the initial html is downloaded, the CRL is
downloaded and .....
zilch, nothing, a blank screen and a little globe that spins for hours.

Quite what is wrong with the IETF certificate chain's CRL I do not know,
but I do know that the IETF website is inaccessible with HTTPS.  Of
course, I can turn off CRL checking and it works perfectly.  Which I
think is a good summary of where we have got to with security (and no,
OCSP is not out there yet).

This thread started with a design and, as other messages on this thread
have pointed out, it would seem that that design, https, is largely
irrelevant to the actual requirement, namely authentication; but the
IETF has
designed a very fine hammer, namely https, so let's get to work with the
hammer:-(

Tom Petch

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM, <ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com>