Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-07 11:48:45
On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Noel Chiappa
<jnc(_at_)mercury(_dot_)lcs(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>wrote:

E.g. Wikipedia now insists on sending me to HTTPS: versions of _all_ their
pages (I guess to protect against a MITM

No, Wikipedia is taking the position that it’s nobody’s business who’s
reading about what, aside from the person doing the reading. For example, a
gay teenager in Uganda can read about potential health problems with
greatly lessened fear of exposure and torture.  I heartily approve. -Tim

corrupting the content - since the
content is totally public, I can't figure out what else good they think it
does - although HTTPS doesn't really do that good a job at that). Problem
is
that for one of my browsers, it somehow can't get the certificates right,
so
every time I go to Wikipedia I get a zillion pop-ups complaining about
certificate problems. Irony is, of course, that in some counties the whole
site is just plain totally blocked.

That's just an _example_ of the downside of 'encrypt everything, all the
time'.

And I can't wait until national governments start deciding that 'encrypt
everything, all the time' violates their sovreignty, and they start
blocking
encrypted content from crossing their borders...

        Noel