Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-07 11:21:37
    > From: ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com

    > In light of the sentiments expressed at the plenary and in perpass in
    > regards to opportunistic encryptions, perhaps this is the dogfood we
    > should be eating.

Yes, encrypting publicly available documents will do so much to increase our
privacy.

Look, I've got nothing against increasing privacy, but encrypting everything
is neither a privacy panacea, nor without costs/hassles.

E.g. Wikipedia now insists on sending me to HTTPS: versions of _all_ their
pages (I guess to protect against a MITM corrupting the content - since the
content is totally public, I can't figure out what else good they think it
does - although HTTPS doesn't really do that good a job at that). Problem is
that for one of my browsers, it somehow can't get the certificates right, so
every time I go to Wikipedia I get a zillion pop-ups complaining about
certificate problems. Irony is, of course, that in some counties the whole
site is just plain totally blocked.

That's just an _example_ of the downside of 'encrypt everything, all the
time'.

And I can't wait until national governments start deciding that 'encrypt
everything, all the time' violates their sovreignty, and they start blocking
encrypted content from crossing their borders...

        Noel