Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-07 11:51:01

On Nov 7, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Noel Chiappa

From: ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com

In light of the sentiments expressed at the plenary and in perpass in
regards to opportunistic encryptions, perhaps this is the dogfood we
should be eating.

Yes, encrypting publicly available documents will do so much to increase our
privacy.

Look, I've got nothing against increasing privacy, but encrypting everything
is neither a privacy panacea, nor without costs/hassles.

E.g. Wikipedia now insists on sending me to HTTPS: versions of _all_ their
pages (I guess to protect against a MITM corrupting the content - since the
content is totally public, I can't figure out what else good they think it
does - although HTTPS doesn't really do that good a job at that).

The content of Wikipedia is public, and if the people at [insert favorite
government agency] or at your IT department would like to browse it, they are
welcome to it. This is not an issue of protecting Wikipedia's privacy. The
issue here is protecting what you are looking at. Your IT department might take
a dim view of the kinds of articles that you read, and the government agency
might think you either a threat or a good target for blackmail if they know the
kind of articles that you read.