Re: A sort of council of elders for the internet

2013-11-09 23:50:30
IETF should treat all equal, no elders or special influences, just
engineering reasons/purpose.

On Friday, November 8, 2013, SM wrote:

From the Economist [1]:

  "On November 6th a meeting in Vancouver of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), an organisation which brings together the
   scientists, technicians and programmers who built the internet in
   the first place and whose behind-the-scenes efforts keep it running,
   debated what to do about all this. A strong streak of West Coast
   libertarianism still runs through the IETF, and the tone was mostly
   hostile to the idea of omnipresent surveillance. Some of its members
   were involved in creating the parts of the internet that spooks are
   now exploiting. "I think we should treat this as an attack," said
   Stephen Farrell, a computer scientist from Trinity College, Dublin,
   in his presentation to the delegates.

It is an attack, and we should notice/identify the attackers and their
methods. An attacker may try to enter IETF discussions, discourage, or not
acknowledge efforts, or slow some process, or fast some process, or make
community ignore some inputs, etc.

Discussion then moved on to
   what should be done to thwart it.

   As a sort of council of elders for the internet, the IETF has plenty
   of soft power. But it has no formal authority. Because its standards
   must be acceptable to users and engineers all over the world

So we should work for securing Internet-users, and prevent attackers even
if they were service providers. I think most of our standards are accepted
mostly by elder businesses.

, it works
   through a slow process of consensus-building. New standards, guidelines
   and advice take months or years to produce."

I don't think it is only slow but also not managed we'll, because IETF
still not using time for quality, it is just being slow to wait if some one
volunteers an effort, or to make some new people bored. Usually new
participant have more fast (never slow) than elder.

There is a sort of council of elders of the internet around here. :-)

That is strange which is not in our procedure. I thought IETF has only
participants equal, but I felt (the journalist noticed) that there is
hidden groups, teams, bodies, etc, which do work quickly faster than our
slow participation. If this elder council body/group exists, then it is
another attack that may not be seen by users.

AB