Re: A sort of council of elders for the internet

2013-11-10 14:42:49
On 11/10/2013 12:34 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
a realistic attitude toward the historic pool of working group chairs is
warranted.   I don't have a lot of experience with appointing working group
chairs yet, but thus far when I have sought out working group chairs, the
female candidates who seemed qualified have told me they don't have time, or
aren't interested.

I have an uncomfortable and risky idea that we might want to consider:

WG Chairs have always been selected through a private (opaque) process.

So...

Without changing the /authority/ of the AD to make appointments, what about having the AD circulate a list of candidates to the pre-wg mailing list and solicit comments.

This will likely have at least three significant effects:

1. The community can see what the variety to the list is, including across lists; that is, the community will be able to evaluate a given slate and a pattern of slates.

2. The community will be able to know who to comment on, as input to the AD

3. ADs will probably be rather more thoughtful about the 'community' aspects of their choices.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking