Re: A sort of council of elders for the internet

2013-11-10 15:36:27
On Nov 10, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
    Without changing the /authority/ of the AD to make appointments, what
about having the AD circulate a list of candidates to the pre-wg mailing list
and solicit comments.

I absolutely love this idea, and I think it would be a disaster.   There's a
reason why nomcom comments are not made public.   And as an AD, I can tell you
that there are situations I can imagine (which haven't yet come up) where I
would absolutely _not_ want to follow the preference of the community.   You
could argue that such a situation is dysfunctional and the working group ought
not to be formed, and you might be right, but I think you need to iterate on
this idea a few times before we get to where it's something that could actually
be done... :)