Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft

2013-11-12 03:26:12
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst(_at_)it(_dot_)aoyama(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> wrote:
If XMLHttpRequest has reasons to continue allowing it, I'd suggest that:
1) It strongly discurages it, and
2) It defines processing as something roughly like
   a) If the first few bytes look like a BOM, ignore them
   b) Process the rest according to rfc4627bis or ECMA-404 (whichever works
better if they are not in full alignment).

That will make sure that variation is confined as locally as possible.

So that is roughly how it is defined. Using the web's "utf-8 text
resource decode" method that removes a BOM and then passing the rest
to something equivalent to JSON.parse(). However, if we are defining a
new text transport format I think it would make sense to allow a
leading BOM similar to how text/css, text/html, etc. allow for that.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/