Re: BOMs

2013-11-18 11:34:46
Henry S. Thompson scripsit:

My sense is that you'll see more UTF-16 BOMs than anything else.

I agree.

UTF-32 support seems to be waning (at least in the browsers), but
UTF-16 is in pretty widespread use.  John, do you think you can fool
google into counting BOMs for us?

No, because Google transcodes everything into UTF-8 as soon as it starts
to process it.  What I can say (auct. Mark Davis) is that UTF-16 documents
in all formats represent much less than 0.1% of the searchable Web.
By contrast, UTF-8 (including ASCII) amounts to 80% of it.  This reflects
actual rather than declared encodings, and is as of January 2012.

--
So they play that [tune] on                     John Cowan
their fascist banjos, eh?                       cowan(_at_)ccil(_dot_)org