Re: Last Call: Change the status of ADSP (RFC 5617) to Historic

2013-11-20 12:16:50
Dave,

The Historic status has always been the subject of some ambiguity and controversy, going back to the Founding Father. You have an opinion, some of us may have different opinions. The appropriateness of moving documents to Historic will probably never be fully settled. Meantime, we should note that there is something special about Historic, that is not true of any of the other status values: Historic is a demotion and it is final. So there is no consistency issue with asking for an explanatory RFC for Historic but not for full standard.

Here is a test: presumably somewhere somebody has a standard for acoustic couplers. This is obsolete technology, right? Do you expect that the owner of the standard will mark the standard "Obsolete"? I would not expect it.

Bob Braden