Coercion

2013-11-25 19:00:30
Hi Ted,
At 15:58 25-11-2013, Ted Lemon wrote:
(1) I'm not trying to impugn the good work that was done in securing the root key. It was good work, and I think it was very cool. I am just asking if, despite that good work, an NSL could get around it. It's a fair question. The answer may be "no," or "not without it becoming public," or "with great difficulty." I doubt it's "easily." But it's worth asking. When you did the root signing, we were certainly thinking about this threat model, but it was a bit more academic then than it is now. I think we still had some illusions that the U.S. government at least would choose a more constrained attack than taking the key to everything; we now know that the government feels no such burden of restraint?they apparently feel that they can be trusted with that key, and we should be willing to provide it.

In my opinion the question was a valid one. It is not clear though. I agree with Joe that it sounds like a question for ICANN.

I asked some questions about the DPS previously. One of the questions was about coercion. I was okay with the response I received at that time.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy