Re: [perpass] Commnets on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE: perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

2013-12-05 08:55:47

On 12/05/2013 02:41 PM, Josh Howlett wrote:
Stephen,

Yes I agree its necessary, but its not the hard part of the problem.
We are focusing on implementation detail,

Great, I think we agree on that, maybe with slightly
different emphases.

at the expense of the meaty
political problems; namely, (1) establishing the level of monitoring
civil society is willing to tolerate (on the spectrum none to
pervasive) and (2) building whatever legislative consensus is
necessary to enforce that.

Those may be good things for folks to do in various other
places, but I don't think they're for the IETF to do.

Cheers,
S.

Moving straight to (3) the solution space
may deliver specs and running code, but not the motivations to deploy
it (or worse, incentives not to). I applaud the effort, even if it
only serves to incrementally improve on the status quo, but given
your adversaries I fear it is already doomed before it has started.
Seriously, best of luck anyway :-)

Farrell<mailto:stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> Sent:
‎05/‎12/‎2013 12:41
To: Josh Howlett<mailto:Josh(_dot_)Howlett(_at_)ja(_dot_)net> Cc:
perpass<mailto:perpass(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; IETF
Discussion<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> Subject: Re: [perpass] Commnets on
draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE:
perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

Josh,