Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-06 04:15:33
Hi,

Not long ago, someone was stabbed with a knife, so:

Encryption has its dangers and the IETF should not be encouraging its
widespread adoption.

Knives have their dangers, and the metal-processing industry should not
be encouraging their widespread adoption.

Funny - that conclusion, which is analogous to yours, doesn't make much
sense to me. Does it to you?

Encryption is a tool - it's neither good nor bad in itself. What you do
with it is the question.

What we have seen in deployed reality is that lack of usage of this tool
by the internet population at large has played into the hands of
adversaries. The idea to put the tool into everybody's hands and make
them *use* it is absolutely a good idea as a countermeasure IMHO.

Especially since the adversaries *are* using it, regardless whether the
good guys do or not. The rioters you mention above did use it - and they
can continue to do so no matter what we decide in the IETF. The TV
manufacturer could have used it - they were simply stupid enough to
forget about it.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

Tom Petch