Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-09 16:22:42
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/09/tech-giants-band-together-for-nsa-r
eform/
the irony of corporations that are profiting from pervasive monitoring -
that's how Facebook and Google work - complaining
about government pervasive monitoring is not lost on me.

And -- irony number two -- no amount of encryption will protect you from
the monitoring by these corporations. And nor, by extension, those they
are obliged (legally or otherwise) to cooperate with.

What I don't feel good about is perpass-attack, which is going to
be at best ignored, or wildly misinterpreted and misused by its intended
audience. It's primarily a kneejerk reaction to news events

+1

(That doesn't necessarily make it a futile exercise, if it also happens to
improves security in ways consistent with the general threat environment,
which I believe it does. But in this specific case that includes
adversaries that render discussion of technical measures largely
irrelevant by virtue of their influence on the marketplace, so...)

Josh.

Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a
not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238