RE: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-11 10:02:51
Hi,

I have been following this discussion and have little to say till now . I think
it is an important BCP that should be published as soon as possible.

I was concerned when the issue of operational needs for monitoring was first
brought up, as that often serves as an entry point for surveillance. I think it
is as important to consider how we do operational functions to be attack
resistant as it any other network service or function.

The draft does not say functionality must be abandoned. It just says we need to
work on preventing pervasive surveillance attacks. This should be the case in
network management and operations as it is anywhere else.

We should be careful about making unnecessary exceptions and accept that the
tussle of  protection and function is ongoing and can only be solved over time
as the protocol work proceeds.

Avri Doria

l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk wrote:

SB> My view is that we need to get a much better handle on what
SB> that balance is before we publish this BCP. To do otherwise
SB> is going to stall IETF work and result in an inconsistency
SB> as IDs make the "case law".

+1

Lloyd Wood
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood/