RE: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-08 11:39:19
I don't believe anything Stephen has written debates a nation state's right to
make a law about surveillance. Due process of law may enable wiretap or
pervasive monitoring. It may require companies operating in a nation to hand
over keys, to not enable encryption as a service, or to deny transmission of
encrypted traffic.

What Stephen has described is how a malicious third party may collect bulk
information about users by parsing a "tap" on a trunk connection within the
Internet. The traffic in this case may be transiting infrastructure under the
control of a company under the influence of a nation state. Furthermore (and
perhaps more significantly) the traffic may be obtained through a "tap" placed
on the infrastructure without the knowledge of the company controlling the
infrastructure. Stephen points out that there is no way to distinguish between a
nation state inspecting traffic between its citizens or that transits the nation
(under due process of law), and traffic that is inspected and collected for
criminal (or less illegal, money-making) purposes.

Should we take Tom's reasoning to the extreme we would argue that a nation state
should have the right to disrupt the operation of the Internet within their
borders and that right should be made available to them through interference
with routing protocols. Therefore, we should not allow secure operation of OSPF.

Hmmm, maybe governments need to be able to see all on-line bank transactions in
order to spot drug dealers moving money around. So all on-line banking should be
in the clear.

It is my belief that all governments have available to them mechanisms through
due process of law to obtain the information that they believe they need. What
Stephen's document is about is preventing snooping/surveillance attacks on
Internet traffic by parties that do not have support of the law.

Cheers,
Adrian