Re: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-14.txt> (Securing the RTP Protocol Framework: Why RTP Does Not Mandate a Single Media Security Solution) to Informational RFC

2013-12-09 17:56:50

WebRTC is a framework. HTTP is a framework. SIP is a framework. All of these
can be used in very different ways with different deployments. I don't see RTP
being a somehow special relative to many other protocols the IETF develops from
the point of view of not having a minimal interoperable way of securing it.

So lets be blunt here - this document is about justifying that RTP will not
have any MTI security. I will note that rtp-security-options also does not add
any MTI security requirements to RTP.  I'm OK with that. All I am raising is
that was  that I don't believe that has IETF consensus based on the question at
the last plenary.  If you think it does, now would be a great time to outline
that argument.

Lets just keep in perspective here that what we are talking about is the
protocol use for transporting people voice when the PSTN is replaced in the US
and the position of this RFC, and presumable the IETF if it is published, is
that the IETF is not going to mandate a way to secure this.

On Dec 9, 2013, at 3:59 PM, Colin Perkins <csp(_at_)csperkins(_dot_)org>