Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2013-12-31 19:36:04
On 1/1/14, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
where the basic message is:

      We should not approve an IETF policy statement
     until we have a good idea of the way we will use it.

The current draft does not come close to satisfying that requirement.
In fact from what I've seen, the community has been quite diligent at
avoiding all discussion of practicalities.

I support that, and believe that is what the majority wanted, a
solution of guidance of future practices not just definitions,
suggestions or declarations.

A document like this draft is a good idea.  But it can't reasonably be a
Best Current Practices until the community has some idea of what the
practices will (and should) be.

It is not a good idea because its aim is not clear, is it a BCP or is
it a declaration and suggestions. It should make things clear how the
community, the WGs and IESG will use this document, or if they will
not use it at all, just for publishing.

Until then, publishing this document is merely an emotional exercise
that is frankly certain to cause more confusion than insight.

I agree totaly, but I think it does not cause confusion for the IESG,
but confusion to WGs.

AB