RE: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2014-01-01 09:21:03

I agree with you only if the draft is a statement but IMHO it is not only
statement (its unclear practical statement), therefore, this document
should
be informational and not BCP, do you agree?

The difference, to me, is between saying:

- We'd really like to tell people about this.
- We're laying a foundation to do something in this space.

So, how do I think this document will be *used?*

As a starting point. I've recommended some specific thoughts on questions to
draft authors to include in another email. I don't think these are the
"final" questions, nor do I think they need to be included for this initial
version to go to BCP -- so long as we understand this is a goal statement
which will have more information added in the bis and update processes.
Since our knowledge of this space will naturally grow over time, I suspect
this document will change over time, just as id-nits, security requirements,
and other such documents have.

There might be a lot of other "better ways," to go about this -- start a WG,
etc. -- but this is the immediately apparent vehicle for the moment. So
given the choice of doing nothing, "because we don't have a detailed
accounting of everything we'd like to do," or, "because this is political,
rather than technical," and passing this document into BCP status so a
conversation is started, and we think about the right direction from here --
I'd rather pass this document into BCP status so we can think about the
right direction to go from here.

Russ