Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

2014-01-02 15:45:30
SM:

An alternative might be:

  3. IETF participants devise solutions for the Internet that meet the
     needs of diverse technical and operational environments.

     The mission of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant
     technical and engineering documents that influence the way people
     design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the
     Internet work better.  The IETF puts its emphasis on technical
     competence, rough consensus and individual participation, and needs
     to be open to competent input from any source.

     IETF participants use their best engineering judgment to find the
     best solution for the whole Internet, not just the best solution
     for any particular network, technology, vendor, or user.  While we
     all have ideas that may stand improvement from time to time, no
     one shall ever knowingly contribute advice or text that would make
     a standard technically inferior.

This proposed text is an improvement, but I would be much happier with the
addition of one word to the first sentence:  ... devise solutions for the
global Internet ...

BCP 79 is the proper reference.

Following the IPR rules is an obligation for all IETF participants.  It was
in RFC 3184, and I think we need to keep in this document.

The text in RFC 3184 is as follows:

 "We follow the intellectual property guidelines outlined in BCP 9."

In my opinion that text does not fit under the third statement.  An
alternative, which was suggested, is to have it under another guideline.  The
comment mentions that it is an obligation and I agree with that.  The point
being discussed is that the obligation has to be kept in this document
because it was in RFC 3184.  The document has been described as being about
personal conduct and personal interaction.  The document does not discuss
about rules.

Disclosure of IPR that you know about is personal conduct.

The Note Well is used to direct people to BCP 79.  A person attending a
working group session will be told about the Note Well.  A person subscribing
to an IETF mailing list will be sent a pointer to the Note Well.  I suggest
leaving it to the Note Well to list the rules as it has not been argued that
the Note Well is inadequate.

RFC 3184 included a sentence telling people about the expected conduct
regarding IPR disclosure.  I strongly believe that 3184 should do the same.

Russ