Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

2014-01-03 17:09:20

On Jan 03, 2014, at 02:36, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf(_at_)elandsys(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Russ,
At 13:43 02-01-2014, Russ Housley wrote:
This proposed text is an improvement, but I would be much happier with the
addition of one word to the first sentence:  ... devise solutions for the
global Internet ...

With the above suggestion, the third statement could be as follows:

  3. IETF participants devise solutions for the global Internet that
     meet the needs of diverse technical and operational environments.

Adding an informative reference RFC 3935 would also probably do it.

Disclosure of IPR that you know about is personal conduct.

The Note Well is used to direct people to BCP 79.  A person attending a
working group session will be told about the Note Well.  A person
subscribing to an IETF mailing list will be sent a pointer to the Note
Well.  I suggest leaving it to the Note Well to list the rules as it has
not been argued that the Note Well is inadequate.

RFC 3184 included a sentence telling people about the expected conduct
regarding IPR disclosure.  I strongly believe that 3184 should do the same.

We spend so much time on this and it’s really unfun to have to scold folks on
this issue so for me this is a +1 to adding something in about expected conduct
regarding IPR disclosures.

spt