Re: Split the IANA functions?

2014-01-06 19:28:19
On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:
On 01/06/2014 08:51 PM, John Curran wrote:

What happens when the IETF makes a decision that particular "public policy"
requirements
are _to be considered_ (perpass), or specifically _not to be considered_
(RFC 2804) in protocol
development?

I think that's a mis-characterisation. IMO both of those are cases
where there are sound technical reasons for the IETF to do, or not
do, work. Yes, those have impacts, but the public policy angle (if
that's the right term) is a side-effect and is not the reason for
the decision.

Stephen -

 I did not mean to imply that the primary driver was the IETF taking
 on a public policy matter; only that the decision being made (even
 if on a sound technical basis) have real public policy implications,
 and thus will attract interest of many non-technical parties, including
 governments.

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.