Re: Split the IANA functions?

2014-01-06 18:17:03
On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:58 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

The question that should be asked is why the IETF gets targeted in the way
W3C and OASIS do not. I think that the confusion of the IETF role in all
things ICANN is the main reason.

You keep making that assertion, and I'll agree that the IETF is targeted more
frequently
because of the policy aspects of its work.  That doesn't mean governments don't
watch
the policy aspects of W3C (e.g. DNT), only that much less of that work has
public policy
implications, and hence there are less mutual encounters.

Note - the other reason that IP and DNS names get more attention is because
there are
international treaty organizations which operate in apparently similar spaces,
i.e. it's not
necessarily the result of actual interest by governments in the public policy
implications
of the IETF's work, but an expression of inter-organanization dynamics.  The
W3C has
not been honored with having any helpful friends similar in nature to the ITU
and WIPO.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.