Re: Split the IANA functions?

2014-01-07 12:34:41
Avri,

On Jan 7, 2014, at 7:27 AM, avri doria <avri(_at_)ella(_dot_)com> wrote:
I thought the only reason the DNS root is a single root and not a banyan like
root, is because classes don't really work and there has been a political
(business, economic etc ) tendency (hard to call it decision) to not fix or
replace.

Using classes simply moves the single root up to the IANA class registry.
Classes work fine: the minor issues to deal with are that there is no
applications that support a way to make distinctions on classes, some widely
deployed DNS servers do not support classes, no DNS UIs or DNS-based systems
support classes (and we can't even get simple RR types like type 99/SPF
supported to the point we've apparently deprecated the use of that RR type),
and, in order to use classes, we'd have to figure out some way to get people's
pointy haired bosses to understand that <class123>:phbporn.com is _not_
<class666>:phbporn.com.  From my (perhaps a bit cynical) perspective, the ship
has not only sailed on the use of classes, but it has hit an iceberg and sunk
long ago.

Regards,
-drc