Re: Split the IANA functions?

2014-01-08 18:11:32
    Date:        Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:07:12 -0800
    From:        manning bill <bmanning(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu>

  | There can be/ have been multiple roots in the DNS - HOWEVER, there is
  | a always a single root _per class_.

I'm not sure that's correct.   Nor do I know it is incorrect.  Classes
were (and are) so under-specified that exactly how they were intended to
work (if there was ever a clear and understood interpretation of that)
seems lost in the mists of time.

Another interpretation is that classes operate more like BIND's implementation
of views - that is allow different data for the same types in the same
namespace - except without requiring the server to guess bases on source
address of the query which set of data is required.

I am not even certain I am convinced whether the set of available types
is global, or varies per class, nor whether the same lookup algorithm applies
(does A == a in all classes?)  Probably, but who knows.

But even if you're correct, then conceptually, what is now isi.edu simply
becomes isi.edu.internet. (whether actually written that way or not) and
then the set of classes would become the "top level domains", and we're
back at a single tree, with a single root, that root being a list of all of
the classes.

There really is no way out of this - people wanting multiple roots really
just want to change who controls that rot - usually to someone they consider
friendly to themselves (like themselves) rather than someone that they consider
the enemy (ietf/iana/icann/...)

kre