Re: Proposed Changes to IAOC Communications Plan; Request for Community Input

2014-02-05 21:47:01
On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 07:36:46PM -0800, David Morris wrote:
Some such requests may include the requirement that they not be revealed.
I don't think it wise to have a published policy which doesn't allow for
such a legal restriction.

I agree that we need to have a way to conform to a legal requirement.
Are there cases (I imagine that this is one for Jorge) where the mere
fact that a subpoena was received, the matter of which was (legally)
forbidden to publish, is also itself forbidden to publish?  (That is,
do people get subpoenas that not only specify withholding the details,
but prevent the fact of subpoena from being divulged?)  If not,
perhaps the rules could be amended to allow "Cannot publish before
$date due to legal constraint."

If so, boy are we in trouble.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com