Re: IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures

2014-02-23 03:23:28
Hi Abdussalam,
At 13:31 22-02-2014, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
IMHO, Target is suitable term with responder and reporter, we never no who is the real victim sometimes if no witnesses. After investigation we get to know if target is victim. If you assume witnesses available then "victim" is the right word replacing "target" but still we need to change the other two terms.

The archive of this mailing list is publicly accessible. It is possible to verify whether this message, which is addressed to you, could be considered as offensive. It is assumed that the mailing list moderator will see that message and any other message which could be considered as offensive.

The mailing list moderator can intervene if he or she thinks that the email exchange is reaching a point where it might be considered as abusive or harassment. An Area Director can assess whether the mailing list moderator took an appropriate decision, e.g. by reading the mail archive.

There aren't any witnesses or mail archive for a private exchange between two persons. The mailing list moderator will not see those messages.

Person A might send an abusive message to person B if:

  (a) Person A can do that anonymously.

  (b) There isn't anyone to witness that.

  (c) The people witnessing that will remain quiet about it.

  (d) Person B will not complain about it.

  (e) Person B can complain about it but nobody will take any action
      against Person A.

The word "target" depersonalizes the matter. The need for objectivity doesn't prevent one from showing some consideration for Person B.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy