Re: IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures

2014-02-23 07:28:56
Hi S. Moonesamy

On Sunday, February 23, 2014, S Moonesamy wrote:

Hi Abdussalam,
At 13:31 22-02-2014, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

IMHO, Target is suitable term with responder and  reporter, we never no
who is the real victim sometimes if no witnesses.  After investigation we
get to know if target is victim. If you assume witnesses available then
"victim" is the right word replacing "target" but still we need to change
the other two terms.

The archive of this mailing list is publicly accessible.  It is possible
to verify whether this message, which is addressed to you, could be
considered as offensive.  It is assumed that the mailing list moderator
will see that message and any other message which could be considered as
offensive.

The draft does not say only mailing list, so it is for any IETF activity
including social events.

The mailing list moderator can intervene if he or she thinks that the
email exchange is reaching a point where it might be considered as abusive
or harassment.  An Area Director can assess whether the mailing list
moderator took an appropriate decision, e.g. by reading the mail archive.

There aren't any witnesses or mail archive for a private exchange between
two persons.  The mailing list moderator will not see those messages.

It will be nice to mention activity channels as the list, the meetings, the
WG rooms, others

Person A might send an abusive message to person B if:

  (a) Person A can do that anonymously.

  (b) There isn't anyone to witness that.

  (c) The people witnessing that will remain quiet about it.

  (d) Person B will not complain about it.

  (e) Person B can complain about it but nobody will take any action
      against Person A.

The word "target" depersonalizes the matter.

That scenario is correct to not use the word Target because the B is
victim. There are many scenarios in my mind but the draft does not define
limits and levels as I already mentioned in my inputs.

 The need for objectivity doesn't prevent one from showing some
consideration for Person B.

Please note that I have been in the B situation, so I understand what you
mean, but I know that this draft to become BCP it will need to be practical
and involve many possible scenarios not only mailing scenarios.

Best Regards

Abdussalam