Re: IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures

2014-02-22 13:05:44
Hi Andrea,
At 06:50 22-02-2014, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
Could you please clarify / expand on what you mean exactly?

The end of the sentence is about using the procedures in draft-farrresnickel-harassment-00 when other procedures have been ineffective. As such it allows the procedures to be invoked when the other procedures did not produce the desired results.

My preference is to use this intended BCP when a case of harassment is reported. If it a case of, for example, me being rude to you, that can be addressed through existing BCPs (unless it is reported as harassment). I prefer not to see this intended BCP used as a threat. That avoids having to get into a lengthy security consideration discussion about the misuse of the intended BCP.

The passage seems quite clear to me. An IETF document (whatever its nature) cannot trump applicable laws. In some countries / jurisdictions, especially when certain forms of harassment are a criminal offense, not informing authorities might be itself a violation of the law. The trick is of course knowing which particular law / legal system would apply. That's not something that can be solved in this document, though.

The question was about whether an Area Director would inform the authorities. There was a question from Fred Baker during a previous discussion about the same topic ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg83398.html ). There wasn't any response to that question.

As a comment for the Area Directors, http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/ietf-anti-harassment-policy.html has the following:

  "If you believe you have been harassed, notice that someone else is being
   harassed, or have any other concerns, you are encouraged to raise your
   concern in confidence with one of the Ombudspersons."

There isn't any information about who the Ombudspersons are or how to contact them.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy