Re: A private club

2014-02-26 04:11:18
Hi Melinda,
At 15:32 25-02-2014, Melinda Shore wrote:
The IETF does not have members.  This is not a minor point.

I should have written:

  the individuals will act in a professional manner when the situation
  warrants it.

I am not comfortable stating that there is consensus on an Internet-Draft when participation is from a small number of individuals having some affiliation in common. That creates an appearance of a private club.

It is difficult to convince someone who is, for example, from a developing country that the IETF is a large open international community when a quick look at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/maillist.html shows that there has only been participation from individuals from one or two countries.

It might be that the meaning of "situation" in my previous message was unclear. I'll use http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg03047.html as an example to illustrate what I was thinking about. One of the difficulties in resolving a situation is figuring out how to avoid the perception of a private club.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy