RE: Some Comments for Tutorial slides presented in IETF 89

2014-03-05 00:11:57
AB5- Slide 5, shows f2f (i.e. face to face) attendance of participants which
increased between 1996 to 2002, in average above 2000.
That is a 8 year duration with many meetings per year (totally about 24 f2f
event) with numbers of about 2000 attendees and then
decreased after 2002 becoming in average above 1000 and less than 1500
attendees. IMHO, the community had not continued to attend
because of possible difficulties or high probability of waste time, with slow
production, also the diversity problem that still IETF needs to fix.

3 meetings per year. 8 years. Yes, about 24 meetings.

The pre-Y2K upgrade/replacement  tech frenzy that halted as everyone locked
down for Y2K, combined with
the Internet bubble bursting as the economy slowed, had nothing to do with the
community not having budget to attend meetings, then?

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood
From: ietf [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Abdussalam Baryun
[abdussalambaryun(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 05 March 2014 05:51
To: sob(_at_)sobco(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf
Subject: Some Comments for Tutorial slides presented in IETF 89

Dear Scott Bradner,

Thanks for your training, and I enjoyed it even though I listen to it before
two years remotely in other previous meetings. You were very inspiring us and
encouraging us to participate, thanks. I asked you in the end some questions
and I got the answers but I thought it will be nice if I give my comments and
review on this list to possibly help the future attendees.

Review date: 05.03.2014.
Document Presentation date: 02.03.2014.
Document: Bradner, 2014, IETF Structure and Internet Standards Process, IETF
89, London.
Reviewed by Abdussalam.

comer orientation, however, the reviewer believes that it is training to help
new participant to engage and join. The review is based on that the document is
for training new participants in IETF activities. The number of slide (S) or
pages of the document is 60 slides/pages, it maybe long for 2 hour tutorial,
however, it is considering many important issues of IETF and also considers
active participants understandings. There are few difficulties for new comer to
understand, but below comment points try to improve.

The title: IETF structure and Internet Standards Process.

AB1- I recommend the title to be amended to: What is IETF, objectives,
structure, processes and policies.  For simplicity and to guide audience to
important main points.

AB2- the tutorial did not mention the IETF vision, but yes it mentioned the
purposes. The vision is very important to any new customer or new participant.
Many old participant in IETF may still forget the main vision of IETF.

AB3- Slide 6, IETF purpose. I suggest to add the words (Internet Community). So
one of most important activity is that IETF serves that community.

AB4- Slides 4, 10 and 37, are confusing. In S4 it says IETF has no members, but
in S10 it says IESG members and other body members, also in S37 shows that IESG
is part of IETF. That may mean that IETF has members, so we cannot say as in S4
that IETF has no members.

AB5- the slides consider how the IETF WG is created but not how IETF areas are
created. I don't think it is right that IESG should only be responsible for
creating IETF areas. The community should have voice in creating or changing
IETF areas.

I hope in future that each 5 years we get a message from IESG saying IETF areas
structure proposal (renew same, or restructure). That can be done in one
meeting may be better than the list.

AB5- Slide 5, shows f2f (i.e. face to face) attendance of participants which
increased between 1996 to 2002, in average above 2000. That is a 8 year
duration with many meetings per year (totally about 24 f2f event) with numbers
of about 2000 attendees and then decreased after 2002 becoming in average above
1000 and less than 1500 attendees. IMHO, the community had not continued to
attend because of possible difficulties or high probability of waste time, with
slow production, also the diversity problem that still IETF needs to fix.

AB6- recommend that slides 35 and 36 to be in the start slides. The role and
scope of IETF is the first important issue to think of by new comers and how to
compare IETF to ITU. So think it is better flow of tutorial to make both 35 and
36 beside slide 6 (i.e.  IETF purpose).

AB7- in the tutorial on Sunday there was not enough time in the end organised
for new comers to ask questions only about 10 minutes. Usually in tutorials the
aim and objectives are two way communication, and more Q&A interaction. I hope
that IETF future meeting tutorials consider timing of tutorial to achieve
better objectives and more new comer understanding.

Overall, it was a great tutorial and I think all enjoyed it, but this message
is just to add above feedback for future better understanding. I may be wrong
in some points, but could not keep it for myself, just wanted to share my
thoughts, and like to see others comment.

Best Regards
Abdussalam Baryun