RE: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

2014-03-10 11:26:52
Sorry for the top post.

I suspect part if it is human nature; we like completely specified solutions,
rather than referential ones.

It often seems like all these tunnel types serve individually useful purposes,
but that we've also simply failed to reuse much if anything, making
implementation more difficult. Its seems, to me, that could live with a few
generic tunnel types, rather than a thousand specialized ones, but the cat
already seems to be out if the bag (?).

:-)

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: "Alia Atlas" <akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Sent: ‎3/‎9/‎2014 3:14 PM
To: "Eric Gray" <eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>
Cc: "'IETF' (ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org)" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

Eric,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Eric Gray
<eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

Alia,

                I assume that this is a change of subject in part to
demonstrate that we
can in fact have a technical discussion on this list.  J

                But the question is a reasonable example whether that is the
case or not.

It's something that struck me as being interesting to discuss and having
general appeal and
benefiting from the perspective of many areas.  :-)

                IMO, two of the biggest drivers for this work in the IETF are
location and
identity separation, and converged networking.

                Just as examples, the work being looked into in NVo3 is one
example of
one aspect of the first case (where end-user or server application locations are
being separated from specific network entry points or physical servers
accessible
using IP addresses, for example) and both PWE3 and L2VPN are two currently
active examples of the second case (where – for instance – Ethernet traffic is
be carried over an IP network).

Yes, I agree that identity separation is a driver.   I'm not as persuaded that
converged
networking is driving new overlays and encapsulations - just b/c pseudo-wires
have been
around for about 10 years.

                I think the problems these examples are solving are
self-evident.  That
may not be true for other cases.

I'm, of course, more interested in whether there are common drivers and whether
all the
solutions need to be point solutions or are more generalizable.

Alia

--
Eric