Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

2014-03-12 16:14:31
Geoff,

Thanks for your comments.  so that we understand what we are talking
about, here is the principle in question:

The protocol parameters registries are provided as a public service.

Directions for the creation of protocol parameter registries and the
policies for subsequent additions and updates are specified in RFCs.
The protocol parameters registries are available to everyone, and they
are published in a form that allows their contents to be included in
other works without further permission.  These works include, but are
not limited to, implementations of Internet protocols and their
associated documentation.

Your specific complaint is that we mention neither copyright or
trademark.  To me those two legal points are implementation of the above
principle.  We should do what is necessary to see that the parameters
are published so that all are free to use them.  Whether that implies
copyrights, trademarks, contracts, or what have you is for the lawyers
to sort.  What I like is that Steve is carrying forward in his words and
actions this idea that anyone can access this stuff, a point that he
worked with others to establish in the RFC series.  That's leadership!

Eliot