Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

2014-03-13 00:41:12
On 2014-03-13 06:23, Geoff Huston wrote:
I personally am in favour of a stronger statement of principle from the IETF
in this area, but I'm just one voice, and I sense from the posts for Jari and
Eliot that they are unwilling to head further in this direction - fair enough.

FWIW, I support Geoff here, given the history we have seen not only in
direct IETF history but also in other Internet related registries (for
example various TLD-registries).

That said, I at the same time agree with Jari and Eliot that the over
all goal is in the principles. That finding a solution "is implementation".

So, I just would like to have a stronger statement so this is not forgotten.

The copyright for a parameter and its assigments should stay with
whatever organization "owns" that parameter. Not belong to whoever acts
as the care taker of the registry.

That ICANN also say they do not have any interest as the operator in IPR
for the registry is good, but if the registry operator changes, IPR
issues I absolutely would like to see in the agreement(s).

I am because of that of course sort of happy with what Jari and Eliot
stated. This can be found in the principles.

Just do not forget about it...

   Patrik