Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

2014-03-13 10:52:16
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

 Pindar,

On 3/13/14, 6:47 AM, Pindar Wong wrote:

 fwiw also be mindful of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

 p.

Indeed.  But I do think there is probably an additional word or two we can
say about seeing that any intellectual property that exists in the
parameters stays with the IETF, for the purpose of making it available to
all.

Agreed. I merely raise this to support both Geoff and Patrik's point that
perhaps extra clarity at the level of principle might be especially helpful
in this  inherently muddy area that comprises the territorially demarcated
Intellectual Property  space.

In turns out that after some 7 years of operational experience with the
then Creative Commons licence suite --  that 'Sui generis database rights'
were particularly unhelpful (when you're actually trying to legally licence
your rights away) and one of the principle drivers behind the development
of the Creative Commons (4.0) Licence suite.  The gory details fwiw are
here:-

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Sui_generis_database_rights

p.

Eliot