Re: quaint old computers, was "Archived-At" headers

2014-03-14 16:04:40

On Mar 14, 2014, at 1:43 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

I don't  - I just like guidance on what to upgrade to e.g will XP stop
working in April when it goes out of currency?

No, but they'll stop fixing security bugs, so you'll fairly soon be
pwn3d.

Perhaps you could splurge on a �200 Windows 7 laptop, or check out
the wonders of Ubuntu.

Dear Levine,

Wine is getting better. :^)

Windows 7 is not in production, so average users may have a harder time finding
Windows 7 still on the shelf.  Many will likely opt for a third-party start
menu add-on for Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 Pro with a downgrade as a means to
avoid unfriendly tiles which may also require a hardware upgrade.  A real
concern is the vast majority industrial controls such as ATMs using Windows XP.
 It seems this somewhat hidden segment of the market lacks effective incentives.

Regards,
Douglas Otis