Re: Two official work languages is smarter (was Re: IETF working language

2014-03-19 18:18:30
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>

On 03/09/2014 07:46 PM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
Bonjour Russ,

I am sorry, and I did not mean any insult, most of IETF meeting are
not in Europe but most IETF meetings are in America.

If someone wants respect for their opinions, the first order of business
is that they get their facts straight.

 From IETF 80 to IETF 89 (10 meetings), IETF 80, 82, 83, 87 and 89 were
outside America.
 From IETF 70 to IETF 79 (10 meetings), IETF 72, 75, 76, 78 and 79 were
outside America.

The data is more malleable than it first appears.  When I read AB's
first message, I tallied that over the last 5 years (15 meetings), the
IETF met in North America 6 times out of 15, which is exactly the 2/5
ratio that (IIRC) we are trying to achieve.  But when I looked at my
list again, I saw that within the last 2 years, 4 out of 6 meetings
were in North America, which is well over our desired ratio.  And as
Harald notes, over the last 10 meetings, the ratio is 5 out of 10.

So the appearances depend on precisely what time horizon one is
looking at, which will depend greatly on when one started
participating.

There is an additional complexity that the IETF does not have a free
hand choosing meeting sites; it is much easier to choose a site that
is near companies that are willing to sponsor (subsidize) a meeting.

Dale