Re: Security for various IETF services

2014-04-05 00:13:23

--On Friday, April 04, 2014 19:05 -0400 Pranesh Prakash
<pranesh(_at_)cis-india(_dot_)org> wrote:

Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> [2014-04-03 19:00:18
-0700]:
At 7:56 PM -0400 4/3/14, Pranesh Prakash wrote:

 However, as there are numerous legacy tools that have been
 built that require access via cleartext

 Could you please expand on this?  What kinds of legacy
 tools is that statement talking about?

I have a number of tools and scripts that access IETF and RFC
Editor documents and information using HTTP and FTP.

And these tools and scripts will stop working if HTTPS or FTPS
are used?    Can these tools and scripts not be made to
work/compile with NSS / GnuTLS / OpenSSL?  Or is it just that
it is easier not to deal with encryption?

I can't speak for Randy's, but, for the ones I use, yes, they
will stop working.  And, no, I don't have access to source or
other arrangements that would permit me to recode and recompile
them.

Curl, wget, and even the perl-based Twitter client I use
(ttytter) all work just fine with SSL, so I'm curious what
tools and scripts have trouble using encryption.

See my earlier message.
    john