Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-14 11:02:39
David Meyer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:08 AM, George, Wes
<wesley(_dot_)george(_at_)twcable(_dot_)com> wrote:
I’m surprised that no one has sent this out yet:
http://gigaom.com/2014/04/12/why-i-quit-writing-internet-standards/

years, engineer Vidya Narayanan decided it was time to move on. Although she
still believes that these organizations make the Internet a better place,
she wonders about the pace of change versus the pace of organizations."

My friend @colin_dixon pointed this out to me yesterday, and I've been
giving it quite a bit of thought since then (I have a nascent blog on
the topic of how open source and standards orgs might
productively/efficiently work together; follow up to
http://www.sdncentral.com/education/david-meyer-reflections-opendaylight-open-source-project-brocade/2014/03).

What I can say is that after seeing the kind of progress that several
open source communities make (they do epitomize the best of the IETF's
running code/rough consensus ethic), one does have to wonder if
traditional standards making is either obsolete or in dire need of a
make over. What is needed, IMO, is a reimagining of how the standards
process interacts with the open source movement specifically focused
on how they can compliment one another.

Funny - I spent years pointing out to folks the advantages of the RFC process and IETF, over traditional standards bodies and procedures (e.g., ISO). And here we are thinking about IETF as "traditional."

Then again, the current DMARC debacle presents a cautionary tale of more ad hoc approaches.

One example that comes to mind is RSS and Atom - started outside, then pulled under the IETF process.

Miles Fidelman