Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-14 12:15:24
On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman(_at_)meetinghouse(_dot_)net>wrote:

Then again, the current DMARC debacle presents a cautionary tale of more
ad hoc approaches.

DMARC's proponents tried to come to the IETF to form a working group so
that it could undergo the rigors of standards development, and thus not be
as "ad hoc" as you're describing.  It was not accepted, on the basis that,
in essence, the work was already done so there's nothing for the IETF to
contribute.

(If I've mischaracterized this, I'm happy to be corrected.)

-MSK