Re: "why I quit writing internet standards"

2014-04-20 12:10:42
On 4/14/2014 8:28 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
If that's true, it's my impression it's true because the DMARC proponents
insisted any possible working group charter preclude meaningful changes to the
base specification because the work was already done.

That statement is incorrect.

What we pressed for was to get community rough consensus on the kinds of technical work that needed to be done to the -base (core) specification, /before/ chartering the effort.

This was explicitly to avoid the trap of declaring the existing spec unstable -- and that's what starting an open-ended development effort automatically does -- when there was no demonstrated need to do that.

In spite of repeated efforts -- in at least two venues -- to get folks to state what work they thought was needed and to get community support for that work, no tasks were produced.

That meant that any wg charter permitting changes to the protocol would have been entirely without any foundation based on need.

In fact, it would have a foundation of NON-need.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking