Re: DMARC and yahoo

2014-04-15 21:23:47

Theodore Ts'o <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:
    > This means that if a bob(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com sends a message to a list
which
    > includes alice(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com, and the mailing list server keeps
the from
    > field as "bob(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com", and sends the message to all of the
mailing
    > list recipients, which includes alice(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com, the
following things will happen:

    > a) hotmail.com will compare the sender address (authenticated with
    > SPF) with the from address (authenticated by DKIM), see that they
    > are different, and since yahoo.com has a DEMARK p=reject,
    > hotmail.com will bounce the mail.

    > b) this means alice(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com will never see
bob(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com's mail

    > c) since the mailing list server receives a bounce from hotmail.com,
    > if there are enough attempts from yahoo.com users to send mail to
    > the mailing list, the number of bounces will cause the mailing list
    > server to suspend or remove alice(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com from the mailing
    > list.

So, as a WG chair, a person known to me just tried to post to the list
From a brand new yahoo.com mail account.  They aren't subscribed with that
address.  I would normally just approve, and add them...

It seems to me that I must now actually reject, because it would affect other
subscribers.

I'm now thinking that we need to remove all the @yahoo.com addresses from
posting to ietf mailing lists.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-