Re: Author disclosures and conflict of interest

2014-04-28 14:38:16

On 25-Apr-14 14:46, Dave Crocker wrote:

Seriously.  Expecting anything is frankly naive.

Actually having hung out in the den of battling interests called ICANN,
I find that requiring people to list their interests (they call them
statements of interest, not conflict of interest) as a condition of
participating in working groups results in people actually listing their
interests.  And in a few case where people try to hide it, someone is
sure to point that out to.  I also find it useful to know where people
might be coming from when they suggest ideas.

Now, expecting that to work in the IETF might be naive, but i am naive
enough to not understand why.  Sure it would require learning new
tricks, but I bet we could do it if we had the will to do it.

I am also old enough to remember an IETF when the drive of industry
wasn't quite as strong and where people were allowed to develop
technology if there was a general interest in the work even without an
a-priori guarantee that some company was going to deploy.  It is sad
that the technology drive has been replaced with an industry drive.
Then again, I am naive enough to believe that even this could be fixed
if there was a will to do so.

avri