Re: Enough DMARC whinging

2014-05-02 08:41:48
t.p. wrote:
Miles

I do not think that the behaviour of mailing lists is well enough
defined and so the various authentication mechanisms have too much
variation to cope with and so do not.

I get mail from several IETF lists and
  - may or may not get a [tag]
  - may or may not have From: replaced by an IETF address
  - may have From: replaced by a nickname and no IETF address
  - usually get List: headers
and so on and so forth.

What I think is needed is a well-defined and short description of what a
well-behaved mailing list might do, and then DKIM and such, or perhaps
just a best practices thereof, could make mailing lists
authentication-friendly

Pretty much all the major mailing list packages perform the same set of functions, and provide similar configuration options: - you may or may not get a tag - but tagging is a well understood function - that can be standardized - there is a From: in all message - mailing list software performs a small list of functions that overload the field - that suggests adding a standard header or two to move those functions out of the From: field

We could all benefit from taking a list of common mailing list functions, and advancing a standard for how to perform those functions - that would allow for better interaction with lots of things - most notably authentication mechanisms, and perhaps pave the way toward improved clients.

Miles Fidelman