Re: Enough DMARC whinging

2014-05-02 07:13:28
On Thu 01/May/2014 17:18:38 +0200 Dave Crocker wrote:
On 5/1/2014 8:22 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Spam filters should know about things as important as mailing list
subscriptions.

+1

We have about 20 years of spam filtering experience in the industry.
The quality of modern filters is astonishingly good; it's the only
reason email remains viable for users, in spite of open-Internet spam
traffic being far above 90%.

I believe that little or none of that filtering includes awareness of
mailing list subscriptions.  So while the above is an interesting and
possibly useful line of pursuit, it's not clear how it can be elevated
to the status of 'should'.

It is certainly useful to simplify spam filtering.  I think there
would be consensus on 'should'; not on 'must' because of privacy
considerations.

Note that historically, mailing list operators have been resistant to
the imposition of technical or operational changes.

I'm not clear what you mean.  Is there a standard that defines mailing
lists?

Ale