Re: Enough DMARC whinging

2014-05-05 17:33:09
On 5 May 2014 22:53, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 5/5/2014 1:17 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
It aims to change the behaviour of Internet Mail as deployed.

Whether you want to claim that this is formally extending SMTP, per-se,
or not is really something of a moot point - there is certainly an
intentional, large, effect on the deployed protocol. Arguing whether
this fits the letter of some particular definition smacks of lawyering
to my mind.

If a large market player declared that all mail to and from them were
required to be written in a specific language, would that we a matter
for the IETF to deal with?  I think not.  (For all I know, some ISP out
there already behaves that way.)

I think not too. Or either. Or neither. Whichever, that's an impressive
straw man, but largely unrelated to several market players working together
on a change in behaviour.

Dave.